How I failed at my no-buy by Easter

At some point during December of 2018, due to quite an influx of new makeup in my collection (mainly due to my birthday), I've decided that the best thing for me to do would be a no-buy by Easter to allow myself a few months to enjoy new items in my collection. Little did I know at that time, when Easter actual IS in 2019😱... 21st of April to be exact πŸ˜….

So I was there minding my own business, enjoying my stash, but then mid February it hit me... that itch... I got tired of all of the items I have and I was ready to try out something new πŸ˜… By this time I've managed to hit pan on 2 shades in my pan that palette 2019 #panthatpalette2019 and finished up a lipstick from my #finish19in2019 project. Simply, I got bored of my makeup routine and my mind kept thinking about on how to justify any kind of purchase while I'm on my no-buy.

First item that made me slip was an eye primer. I do not "believe" in primers and I'm usually lucky enough to survive 10-12 hour working day without creasing of my eye makeup, but then it happened😀. I thought I was invincible until I had major creasing and wear off while I was using Zoeva Premiere palette (still such a beauty 😍) that I made an impulse Avon purchase at work including Mark Shadow Attract Eyeshadow primer and Lip Stylo in Totally Twig (I've just finished up a lipstick, I deserved a new one πŸ˜†).

That purchase lead to another one in DM by buying a cheap Alverde XXL Volumen mascara (no enhanced volume or length, and it stings my eyes 😭) and Alverde Serum Foundation in 01 Porcelain (their foundations are always a perfect match for me, this one is a bit drying but with good skin prep it looks nice and lasts long 😊 Plus, it's cheap with capital c!).

At that point it made no sense to insist on trying to continue on my no-buy... That ship has sailed and it took some of my money with it. I was disappointed for a while, but when I looked at my bank statements there was an unexpected positive surprise hidden in there (and you know that bank statements usually only bring bad news 😰) - my last purchase made before I've decided to go on a no-buy was back on 22nd of November '18, which meant that I still managed to keep my makeup no-buy alive for 3 months!πŸ˜€

Verdict: In Croatia, we have a saying that every fool has it's own reason of happiness, and mine is makeup. Those 15 minutes in the morning while I put it on are my zen moments in which I prepare for daily challenges ahead. I am pretty frugal in my everyday life and a few splurges now and then will not hurt me nor my house budget, but I still think that I'll try to repeat a no-buy challenge in case I get overwhelmed with my collection.

Have you ever tried to go on a makeup no-buy?
What are your triggers for buying makeup?

*All mentioned items bought with my own money.

With love,
atwiglikeme



Comments